Home Insurance

Quote and buy online today

  • Storm and flood cover
  • Replacement locks cover
  • Theft or attempted theft
Get a quote, today! Retrieve a quote Renew my policy

Protecting what matters most to you

Benefits listed apply to our standard buildings and contents policy wording. Benefits vary depending on the type of cover selected. As with all insurance policies some exclusions apply. View our policy wording for full details.
  • Features
  • Product Information
  • More Help

Standard home insurance cover

Our standard buildings and contents insurance covers loss or damage to your possessions or home as a result of fire, storm or theft, amongst other things.

A restricted amount of accidental damage cover is included for items such as televisions, computers, and audio and video equipment.

Full accidental damage cover

In addition to our standard policy accidental damage cover, you can opt for full accidental damage cover at an extra cost. This includes cover for accidental damage to iPads / tablets, Kindles etc. Speak to an advisor for more details, or check the policy wording.

Explore the features of our home insurance below.


Storm and flood cover

Escape of water

Malicious acts and vandalism

Subsidence cover

Loss of rent & alternative accommodation

Accidental breakage to fixed glass and double glazing

Replacement locks cover

Tracing & accessing leaks up to £5,750

Family legal protection

Home start assistance


Alternative accommodation

£5000 single article limit (for valuable items within the home)

Contents in garage up to £3,000

Contents in the open up to £1,000

Contents temporarily removed from the home

Freezer contents cover up to £1,250

Wedding and special events uplift cover

Stolen credit card cover up to £5,000

Occupiers liability up to £2,000,000

Family legal protection

Homestart assistance

Money Cover up to £500

Cover for escape of oil

As with all insurance products terms, conditions and exclusions apply with each cover type. Refer to the policy wording for full details.

You can find full details about our home insurance in our policy document. This includes information on the claims procedure, exclusions and how to cancel your policy.

Policy excess information

An excess is the amount of money you pay towards when making a claim. There are four types of excess:

  • Compulsory excess – this must be paid and usually relates to claims for malicious damage, accidental damage, fire and theft.
  • Voluntary excess – this is paid on top of a compulsory excess. You can select a voluntary excess when setting up your policy.
  • Subsidence excess – required when making a claim for the subsidence of your property.
  • Escape of water excess – to be paid in the event of a claim relating to water escaping from a fixed water source, drainage or heating installation. It also applies to water escaping from a washing machine, dishwasher, fridge freezer, water bed or fish tank.

Our Help Centre contains lots of useful and practical support when it comes to insurance - including what to do in the event of flooding and how to calculate your contents cover.

Web Chat

Talk to one of our insurance advisors now

Start a live chat

Call Us

028 9104 2042

Lines are closed

Our phone line opening times are:

Monday to Friday
09:00 - 18:00

09:00 - 13:00


Visit Help Centre
Get a quote

Why choose Hughes Insurance?

  • Based in Northern Ireland
  • Local call centre staff
  • Almost 40 years of experience
  • Straightforward, reliable & competitive insurance

We’re one of Northern Ireland’s best-known names in insurance.

The business was originally established in 1977, and since then we’ve earned a reputation as a reliable and trusted expert in insurance. We’re passionate about protecting the things that matter most to you – whether that’s your car, home, holiday or business.

More about Hughes

What our customers say

Need help with home insurance

View all articles